Sauerkraut, sausages, chicken, and bacon? Yes, please!
Recipe provided by OlyKraut
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 lb. skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (6–8)
- Kosher salt
- 8 oz. slab bacon, sliced ½” thick
- 6 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 2 large sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp. juniper berries
- 4 cups OlyKraut of your choice, rinsed, squeezed dry, divided (2 cups and 2 cups)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 lb. sausages, such as kielbasa
- Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 400°.
- Drizzle oil in a large skillet. Season chicken with salt and arrange skin side down in a single layer in skillet. Cook over medium heat until skin is golden brown around the edges, ~12 mins. Once chicken pieces have all released from skillet and slide around easily, continue to cook, shifting pieces until skin is deeply browned, 6–8 mins longer.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and turn skin side up. Pour off all but ¼ cup fat from skillet. Add bacon to same skillet and cook, turning once, until lightly browned, about 5 mins; transfer to a plate.
- Cook garlic in skillet, until golden brown, about 3 mins. Add thyme and juniper berries and cook, tossing, about 1 min. Add 2 cups sauerkraut and wine, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring occasionally, until wine is almost completely evaporated, 6–8 mins. Remove skillet from heat.
- Place sausages in a 3-qt. baking dish and pile warm sauerkraut over. Arrange chicken thighs and bacon on top of sauerkraut. Pour in ¾ cup water and bake until chicken is cooked through and liquid is bubbling throughout, 25–30 minutes.
- Top with 2 cups sauerkraut and enjoy!